To stay consistent with our focus on transparency, I believe that it is important to keep district staff and the community up-to-date on the decisions that are being made. I will be reporting each Monday, through this blog, on the important events that occurred the previous week in a series titled “The Superintendent Chronicle: A Week in Review”. This blog reviews what was a high priority for me the week before and explains the “why” behind important district decisions.
- Conversations with the Janesville Education Foundation for a potential merger with the Excellence in Education Foundation
- The Janesville Excellence in Education (EIE) Fund was established in 2010 with donations from local businesses, alumni, and supporters of the School District of Janesville. The Fund's mission is to enhance educational programs, extend educational opportunities, encourage innovation, and recognize the achievement of students and staff. The Fund is independent of the school district operating budget.
- Worked with Alumni Association to put website, video and logo contest in place
- Worked closely with JIEP (Janesville International Education Program) to implement Summer Academies
- Attended Meet and Confer session and discussed Handbook items with the Superintendent’s Cabinet
- “Meet and confer” is a process that is designed to allow unions, non-represented staff, school boards, and administrators the opportunity to discuss important issues concerning topics related to working conditions. “Meet and Confer” opportunities are not required by law nor do they provide a mechanism for employee groups or unions to insist upon particular proposals or to resolve disputes. The “Meet and Confer” meetings may not necessarily lead to a decision on a particular topic. What they will provide is an opportunity to share information, exchange ideas, receive input, and ask questions. The outcomes of the “Meet and Confer” meetings are increased awareness and greater understanding for all parties involved including those who have the authority to make decisions.
- Meet and Confer meetings are posted as Open Session meetings. This means that anyone can attend the meeting. However, it is important to note that the meetings are not open forum. There are individuals invited to represent groups and to act as a spokesperson for those groups. There may be times in the meeting that public comments will be accepted.
- Worked on a compensation plan for non represented staff members.